Hospitality and Hygiene Chemicals Industry Newsletters Vol. 2
Food Safety Management
Importance of Hygiene in Food Service Environment
Food poisoning is a serious health problem. It can cause severe illness and even death. A food poisoning crisis effectively damages the reputation of a business, food industry and by extension, the livelihood of many workers.
Owners and Management of food businesses have an important role to play to ensure that the food being prepared and served at their establishments are safe for consumption. It is the Job of Management to ensure that their premises are constructed in compliance with HACCP.
Often, there is the challenge in ensuring that food handlers, after training, don’t revert back to bad personal hygiene practices and don’t take short cuts.
To ensure that hygiene is always practiced, even in the busiest of times, management must ensure that proper training, supervision and monitoring by line supervisors and managers is carried out.
In general practice, it is necessary for the food industries to implement HACCP Systems and to be HACCP Certified. Management is required to hire a HACCP Consultant who would be responsible to establish a HACCP system for that premises.
Every employee must undergo Intermediate or Advance level of Food Hygiene to improve their knowledge and competency on food safety.
It is important that, the managers understand the need of food safety, its importance to the business, the law, and how to recognize and eradicate hazards.
Hassan Kamoru - Housekeeping Manager, Ibis Airport Hotel, Ikeja
Q. Please tell us about yourself and your company?
Ans. Ibis is an economy hotel brand that’s focused on evolutive designs with simple and flexible furniture, it is the strong economy brand of the group Accor.
Q. Please tell us about Ibis Lagos Airport Hotel’s business relationship with Cormart?
Ans. It’s been great. There is longstanding admiration between both organization, and that’s beyond Cormart supplying cleaning chemicals and trainings to ibis staffs on chemical usage.
Q. What Cormart products do you use, and what’s your impression?
Ans. We majorly use the hand sanitizer, Mulan spirit (emulsifier), laundry machine detergent (dual ultra), and degreaser. Product quality is satisfactory.
Q. What ideas have you implemented to improve your laundry operation efficiency?
Ans. Organizing internal and external training to the laundry staff on chemical usage, placing guidelines to improve operation efficiency.
Q. What kind of challenges are you routinely faced with from guests and how do you resolve them?
Ans. Regular damaging of linen from guest. We’ve set up control policies that will reduce misusage of linens by guests. Also, purchasing good laundry chemicals and organizing training to laundry staff on chemical usage.
Q. What general trends do you see in the industry, and what should be the focus to make the laundry industry thrive in the future?
Ans. I think the main focus of laundry chemical producing companies should be on the effectiveness of the chemicals being produced and also how human friendly the chemical is, so as to enhance home and industrial usage.
Product Spotlight: Kleansol Degreaser
Effective Removal of Grease & Oil
Vegi Wash is a chlorine solution professionally used in washing vegetables.
- Add 1 packet of Vegi Wash to sink filled with 38L cool (16°C – 27°C) water and stir for a 25-ppm solution.
- Remove and discard any visible soil and decayed leaves on produce.
- Soak produce in Vegi Wash solution for 5 minutes. All produce must be completely submerged. Do not overfill sink with produce.
NOTE: Vegi Wash solution must be drained and refilled after changing type of produce or when solution becomes visibly soiled.
- Before rinsing produce, wash hands with AMH Handwash; then sanitize with hygienic Hand Rub.
- Rinse lettuce heads under cold, portable water.
- Shake produce gently
- Place on clean sanitized area of sink counter. Allow to drain.
Technical Advice & Tips
One of the technicalities of selling cleaning chemicals for any floor type is, first of all, to understand that we have different floor types and understanding the character of these different floor types.
In order to select the right maintenance procedure, you must know what type of floor you intend to clean. Each type has its own requirements for both daily and other types of cleaning.
Some of the different floor types we have and they are generally known as HARD FLOORS.
Terrazzo, Wood, Quarry tiles, Ceramic tiles and Vinyl tiles. The listed tiles require regular sweeping, scrubbing, sealing and polishing.
Marble, Sealed wood and Rubber require sweeping, stripping, sealing and polishing.
Granite, Vitrified tiles and Glazed ceramic require sweeping, mopping and buffing
with degreasing agents.
GENERAL TIPS FOR HARD FLOOR CLEANING: MOP SWEEPING
- Put on your PPE
- Assemble Machine, check vacuum cleaner plug, cable and inside for safety
- Place warning signs at strategic places, like entrance points into the cleaning area
- Ventilate the area if appropriate
- Remove any chewing gum with scraper
- Sweep using a continuous stroke
- Use dust pan and brush in corners
- When sweeping large areas, collect dirt with pan several times
- If mop sweeper becomes full of dirt, clean using vacuum cleaner
- Cover all areas systematically
- When finished, remove soil from floor with dust pan and brush and clean mop sweeper
- Remove plug and circuit breaker from power socket and recoil vacuum cleaner
- Clean equipment/machine/tools and check for safety
- Return equipment/machine/tools, including warning signs, to store and close the ventilation, if appropriate